April 1, 2013

Cauley-Stein and Wiltjer staying at Big Blue, Goodwin leaving to enter draft

 
The news was mixed but unsurprising concerning players in the Kentucky Wildcat men's basketball
program, as two players -  Willie Cauley-Stein and Kyle Wiltjer - have announced they'll return for next season, and Archie Goodwin, the star freshman guard, has announced he'll be leaving to enter the NBA Draft.

After losing all five starters from last year's championship team, Kentucky has a chance to build for next year with a strong contingent of recruits coming in. Having some experience and leadership could help the team go a long way next year, as it was lacking in the disastrous (for Kentucky) season they went through.

As for leaving, Goodwin said this: "This is something I've dreamed about my entire life and I feel like the opportunity is there for me to play at the next level. I will stay in Lexington to finish my schoolwork this semester before continuing to pursue my dream. I've loved my time at UK and want to thank Coach Cal, the staff and my teammates for helping me get where I am. I especially want to thank the Big Blue Nation for all their support."

Goodwin led the Wildcats in scoring the last season, averaging 14.0 points a game. Of all University of Kentucky freshman in the history of the men's basketball program, Goodwin ranked 10th in scoring with 448 points.

Cauley-Stein said he was looking forward to improving next year and the attempt to bring the NCAA Basketball championship back to Lexington. He averaged 8.3 points and 6.3 rebounds during the 2012-13 season.

Echoing similar sentiments, Wiltjer, who was the top sixth man in the SEC the past season, said after talking with the UK coaching staff he understands what he needs to do next year and wants to be "part of another championship."

After winning the national championship last year Kentucky was only able to make it to the NIT tournament this year, where they were shockingly knocked out of the first round by Robert Morris. The Wildcats had been favored to win the NIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment